Bethel Baptist Church

1100 Huguenot Springs Road, within sight of Midlothian Turnpike

The present Bethel Baptist Church, built in 1894, is the third meeting place of this

congregation, which was established as an offshoot of Spring Creek Church in 1799.

The Gothic Revival structure is the only nineteenth century brick church in

Chesterfield. Constructed of five-course American bond brick, with decorative

buttresses defining each bay, the building features a steep gable roof sheathed in

slate and pierced by gabled vents.

The fleur-de-lis finials capping the vestibule and main front gables are said to have

been used because a large part of the congregation was of French Huguenot descent.

Indeed, the general form and detailing of the church appears to be based on French

rather than English Gothic models.

Bethel is a registered Virginia Historic Landmark and is on the National Register of

Historic Places. It was so designated for its contribution to religious freedom in our

nation. Not only were many of its founders descendants of Huguenots seeking

freedom from persecution in France, but it was also a haven for dissenters from the

Church of England around the time of the Revolutionary War, and it was the mother

church of Mt. Sinai Church when its Negro members departed after the Civil War.

Compiled by Lucille C. Moseley for the 300th Anniversary

Celebrating the Arrival of the Huguenots in Virginia

Trabue's Tavern

11940 Old Buckingham Road, just east of Midlothian

Trabue's Tavern served born as a public hostelry and as the residence of a prosperous

Huguenot coal mining family in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.

Jacob Trabue, who died in 1767, the earliest traced owner of the property, was the

son of Antoine Strabo (later Anglicized to Tra