Melrose sits adjacent to Trabue Tavern and may have once been a part of the Trabue plantation. The property was later owned by Huguenot descendants Elmore and Gustavus Deppe. The Deppes sold it to William Robinson in 1828, who built Melrose in 1831.
This early nineteenth century frame story and one half structure typifies local
Huguenot architecture. Twin front doors side by side open into each of the two first
floor rooms. A steep staircase winds to small loft rooms originally lighted by small
windows in the gable eaves. Dormers installed after a roof fire in 1965 provide more
light and ventilation. End chimneys rising from the raised back basement furnish
each room with a fireplace. Except for the rebuilding of the porch and the additions
of the dormers, Melrose remains almost unaltered.
Members of the Robinson and Cole families occupied the house for many
generations. Their cemetery, enclosed by a picture fence, lies west of the house.
Compiled by Lucille C. Moseley for the 300th Anniversary
Celebrating the Arrival of the Huguenots in Virginia