1000 Huguenot Trail
The Monacan farm was once the site of an abandoned Monacan Indian village. It was
the first tract of land surveyed by the Huguenot settlers. This may be the oldest house
in the county.
Huguenot settler Peter Chastain received a patent here in the early 1700s. The frame
part of today's main house was built in 1720 by Chastain, who left it to his son at his
death in 1728; he is buried on the grounds. The younger Peter granted the property
to Edward Scott in 1729 to pay a gambling debt. The property remained in the Scott
family until the late 1930s, more than 200 years. They added the brick portion of the
house around 1830-32.
Mrs. Collins Denny and her husband purchased the property in the early 1940s when
it had no heat, electricity, or running water. They carefully restored Monacan to the
lovely home seen today.
Compiled by Lucille C. Moseley for the 300th Anniversary
Celebrating the Arrival of the Huguenots in Virginia