St. Leger, a small cottage on Old Hundred Road, named for the French town of the
same name, was probably built by a member of the Huguenot Flournoy family during the early 1830s.
The house featured a hall-parlor plan with the usual two front windows, but it
originally differed from the standard by 4201 Old Hundred Road
also having two front doors, one opening into the parlor and one into the hall. The right-hand door was replaced by the present nine-over-nine sash window in the nineteenth century. Except for the change in openings, the house survived almost unaltered.
The earliest definitely established owner of St. Leger was Thomas E. Morrissette, a
descendant of the Huguenot settler Pierre Morrissette. He acquired the 200-acre
tract from the John Heth estate in 1845. Morrissette had been an overseer for Heth
and acquired the property in payment for an outstanding debt. The property
continued in the Morrissette family until modern development intervened.
Compiled by Lucille C. Moseley for the 300th Anniversary
Celebrating the Arrival of the Huguenots in Virginia