1700 Salisbury Drive
Aetna Hill is located north of Midlothian on a large wooded parcel rimmed on the
south by a recent housing development.
The dwelling, which has seen few alterations since its erection, was built in two
stages. The original house is a 1 1/2 story Huguenot-style structure with a three-bay
facade and twin front doors. This earliest portion of the house was built by
Thompson Blunt after his marriage in 1791 to Frances Morrissett, granddaughter of
Huguenot settler, Pierre Morrisett.
Around 1840 a larger 2 1/2 story, side-passage plan house was added to its west gable
end. The facade of the earlier section was altered around 1948 when the original left
front door was replaced by a wide double window.
The property was best known in the nineteenth century for a series of major coal
mining operations there. In 1831, after retiring to Powhatan County, Blunt deeded
his Chesterfield house and lands to his daughter Maria and her husband Elijah
Brummall, who operated the Aetna Coal Pits for many years, employing about ninety
laborers. Coal from the Aetna shafts was being sold to the Tredegar Ironworks in
Richmond as late as 1884.
Compiled by Lucille C. Moseley for the 300th Anniversary
Celebrating the Arrival of the Huguenots in Virginia